Guadassuar is a small town in the Valencian Community, Spain, belonging to the province of Valencia, in the Ribera Alta county. Guadassuar is located 30 km from Valencia. The town has a population of around 6,000 inhabitants. In the last years, immigrants from Romania, Bulgaria and other Eastern countries have settled in the town.
The Guadassuar Town Council promotes several social, economic and cultural activities aiming at spreading culture, knowledge, and local traditions inside and outside of its community and engaging citizens in active participation in social life. The municipality of Guadassuar is very committed to the use of new technologies, promoting several initiatives related to the use of new technologies and communications through social networks among citizens. Some of the activities taking place in Guadassuar, promoted by the Town Council with the collaboration of other local entities, are:
– The «Readers Club»: an initiative coordinated by the Public Library of Guadassuar.
– The «Drawing for Equality» event: art exposition and music performance to raise awareness about gender equality.
– «Trivial Feminista», taking place at Casa de la Cultura on International Women’s Day, and coordinated by the Youth Council of the town.
– Several initiatives to raise awareness about healthy lifestyle and nutrition habits.
– Campaigns to raise awareness and to foster solidarity: «Ser Donant no pasa de moda», an initiative to inform and engage people in blood donations, and the campaign entitled «Safety Road».
The Town Council is strongly committed to keeping traditions alive. Therefore, several initiatives are undertaken in order to pursue this goal. Amongst them:
– The Photo Competition on the Holy Week.
– Las Fallas: traditional celebration, deeply rooted in the history of the Valencian Community – Renaissance Music Concerts, performed with traditional music instruments.
Guadassuar has a great music tradition; therefore, music is a fundamental element in all local festivals and celebration. The Town Council also runs an Auditorium, where concerts and art performances take place regularly. The Department of Education, Sports and Festivities of the City of Guadassuar has participated in several Erasmus projects related to social inclusion, education and immigration.